Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Random Stuff

So I know that it has been a little while since I’ve actually taken the time to sit down and write out a blog, other than my short story that is.  I’ve been really tied up with school and other busy stuff that makes up my life. My wife and I had some house guests and they took up a lot of our time…and space haha.  Having them live here wasn’t too bad I guess, but after a while I found myself getting terribly vexed at the sight of them. It was mostly her brother I suppose.  He’s a great guy and I won’t bash him, but I was mostly annoyed because he doesn’t have any real aspirations in life and never really made a valiant effort to find himself a job so that he could get his family back on track. However, the situation is over and they are happily living on their own.

I wanted to take the time to write out a lot of stuff that has been on my mind since I last jotted down my thoughts.  The first is my schooling. I’m so glad that I decided to pursue writing as a career because I have come to realize that I’m actually pretty good at it.  My teachers have pushed me to succeed and I have really been enjoying the results thus far.  If you haven’t already, please check out the flash story I wrote.  It’s called a flash story because it’s only a thousand words or so.  It’s basically a short, short story.  The one I wrote is called, “The Day I Died.”  It’s about the life of a lowly hospital janitor who finds himself in the wrong place at the wrong time. I won’t tell you the whole story here because it would really mean a lot if you read it for yourself.  It should take you about five or ten minutes to read it. I’m currently in the process of trying to find a place that would possibly publish it for me.  I think the real hard part about that is going to be the rejection I’m going to face.  I’m betting a lot of people will turn it down, but the thing I have to do is overcome rejection and keep pushing forward.  In the end I’m hoping to write novels and video game scripts. Although, as of late, I’ve decided that I wouldn’t mind trying my hand at screenplays as well.  People close to me know how much I love the TV show Scrubs. Well I just recently read a script for one of the episodes and then watched that very episode. It’s amazing how what the writer puts down on paper gets acted out on screen.  The actors do a great job making the story pop, but that story wouldn’t be there without the writer. I had to write a very short screenplay for one of my assignments and was actually pretty impressed with my work.  My writing style has been coming off as rather dark, but I think that will be okay.  Edgar Allan Poe and William Shakespeare are a couple of people who inspire me and they are both experts in tragic storytelling.  Anyway, my school has a film department that preps people to be film directors and one of the perks of being a writer is that I can submit screenplays to them.  The film students will get to choose what scripts they like and then turn them into short films.  I’m really hoping to have a short film that I wrote on my profile because it’s proof of what I can do as a writer and it may land me a job in the future.

Another thing I wanted to chat about is the Epic Rap Battles of History series I have been watching on Youtube.  These guys are hilarious!  They take historical characters from history and fiction and put them into rap battles against each other.  For example, you can watch Adolf Hitler square off against Darth Vader, or Master Chief go toe to toe with King Leonidas.  It’s really great stuff and I’m sure my entire family is annoyed with me watching them all the time. Here are a couple of my favorites if you care to watch.






Also on Youtube, I’ve been keeping up with a game reviewer named Angry Joe.  I found out about this guy because of his videos on the Mass Effect 3 ending.  His style of reviewing is extremely unconventional and that is what makes it so great.  Sure he’s a bit extreme and can be overly opinionated at times, but what I’ve realized is that his reviews are what I’m really looking for. He gives fair reviews while at the same time showing off some pretty hilarious parodies of the game he’s reviewing.  They’re long and fun to watch and I enjoy hearing his thoughts because he has a no bullshit attitude towards the games in question.  If the game sucks, he is going to tell that it sucks and then he is going to show you why, all while making you laugh your freaking ass off.  He’s not for everyone though.  My wife can’t stand him, but such is life.

Finally I wanted to talk a little bit about G4tv’s Video Game Deathmatch.  I love that they pit games against each other but I honestly hate the fans that vote. You could pit two really great games next to each other and even if a person likes them both, they tend to bash one of them because they like the other one better. For example, the most recent deathmatch is asking gamers to vote for the best game of 2012 and it has become heated.  Guild Wars 2 is facing off against The Walking Dead in round three and people are verbally destroying both games.  One jackass even had the nerve to say that the only reason people are voting for The Walking Dead is because they like crappy games or they’ve never played Guild Wars 2 and don’t know what they’re talking about. I haven’t played either of them but I proceeded to tell him what a fucking idiot he was for saying that. First, the poll is OPINION based meaning that fans are going to stick to what they like. Fanboys of a series will fight to the death for their game and if you’ve ever gone to a video game forum you would agree.  Second, a crappy game is based on opinion. I may think Call of Duty sucks but the millions of fans who play it constantly will disagree without question.  It goes for all games. A guy in the Halo 4 vs Dishonored poll stated that he was going to kill everyone who posted a comment if Halo 4 doesn’t win. It honestly made me want to take back my vote for Halo and give it to Dishonored.  The results don’t matter! The poll is not legit at all, especially since it allows people to vote more than once. What’s keeping a crazed fan from voting ten thousand times?

Okay so that is all I have!  If you want me to rant or talk about anything just let me know.  Until next time, gang. 

No comments:

Post a Comment