Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Damn This Violence


I’m not really understanding the violence that is going on in Denver lately.  Just last week some jackass walked into Target and shot into the ceiling because he apparently wanted to score some drugs from the pharmacy. Fortunately no one was hurt but it could have been bad.  It happened on Black Friday from what I’ve read.  But this is just the latest act of crime in the past year that has been making me want to leave Denver.  I love this city and I honestly feel like it’s the best place to be in the whole world.  But I have to ask myself if it’s the right place to raise my kids and I really don’t think it is.  I’m not saying that smaller cities are any safer, okay I am saying that but it’s because they have smaller populations.  Smaller populations mean less crazies which means less chance of random violence. Some of the big ones that scare me are the kidnappings.  Just recently that moron kidnapped and murdered a ten year old girl.  The psycho dismembered her and it turns out that this freak is only 17 years old!  He was taking CSI courses and was acknowledged for being pretty good at it.  This happened close to where my sister lives.  Sure, this freak is off the streets, but there are more out there like him and that’s what scares me.

The biggest one that scares me is the movie theater shooting down the street from my house.  It scares me on multiple levels. At one point I’m feeling blessed that I wasn’t at that movie theater that night.  Just two days before it happened I was online looking up tickets to go.  I was supposed to go with my buddy Tom.  After I brought the tickets up and was ready to pay for them through Flixster, I decided to text Tom and ask him if he was still going.  I’d get the tickets and he could get the popcorn and soda.  Turns out he was stuck out of town and couldn’t make it.  Which was actually fine with me because that theater is the shittiest place ever and we both would have preferred going to the Movie Tavern.  That place is cool because it’s a restaurant and movie theater at the same time.  Instead of popcorn, Tom could pay back his ticket in beer.  The biggest thing that scares me about it, though, is the fact that all of these people went to a movie as dedicated Batman fans and were unjustly injured or killed.  How unfair is that?  The movies aren’t even a safe place anymore.
We did wind up going to see the movie the following night, but it was strange.  There were cops all over the place and the entire atmosphere felt wrong.  That was the last movie I saw in the theater until just recently my wife and I went and saw Lincoln.  I’m not saying I won’t go to a theater to watch a movie, I’m just scared of being in crowded places where I’m vulnerable. These crazies will take advantage of that and it’s what make them so powerful. It sucks that we have to feel like that in such a great country.  I don’t remember life being so scary when I was a kid and now I’m practically terrified.  I’m not afraid of dying, but I’m afraid of leaving my family behind to grow up without their father or her husband.  Life is so valuable and I want to be around for it.  Even more so, I’m afraid for my kids.  I don’t want my daughter going to the movies with this type of threat out there.  I won’t let them walk to school, ever.  I will be that parent who watches his kids like a hawk in order to protect them.  That’s just the way society has made me feel. I just want my kids to grow up with a normal life away from drugs and away from violence. Seriously, let’s just all get a long and love each other, you bunch of fuck tards. 

No comments:

Post a Comment