Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Halotitan on Twitch


It feels pretty good to be back in the world of blogging. Rather than sitting in front of this blank virtual page and unhinging the door that holds all of my crazy story ideas, I’m releasing all of my emotions. It’s such a freeing feeling being able to write in the moment, even though all the dirty crap I just said about my ex wife won’t make the final cut. I jest of course. I didn’t write anything bad about her and I quite honestly don’t feel ready to write about my particular issues with her. I did that during our divorce and it became a massive spectacle that wound up being taken down because it was “slander.” I digress. But it still feels so gratifying to just spill my guts without worrying about how bad my writing is and if anyone will like it. You either do or you don’t which officially makes it not my problem.

So instead of spilling my guts on my personal life issues, I’ll instead be talking about my part time gig as an affiliated broadcaster on Twitch. Part time gig you ask? Yes, I’m attempting to make it a full time job but that takes a lot of hard work. Before I get into all of that though, I feel like we need to reacquaint ourselves since it’s been so long since I’ve blogged on the regular. So I’ll get this started. Hello, my name is Cody and I’m an alco…er…I’m a writer, affiliated broadcaster, and completely unemployed. People know me by many different names though, Halotitan, Halo, Titan, and That Guy with the Large Penis. You can fill in your part in the comments below.

So now some of you may be reading this and thinking, “hey this is The Guy with the Large Penis! I’ve seen him on Twitch.” Yes I know, calm down, I’m super famous. During my rise to stardom I’ve become affiliated on Twitch, which means I have more ways of earning money. I also recently celebrated my one-year streamiversary and surpassed one thousand followers. Ok…I’m certainly not famous and haven’t had a path to stardom, if any gaming broadcaster can even claim that. I do think it’s important, however, to really celebrate the small achievements. I’ve set goals for myself and I’ve finally managed to accomplish a few of them while I still pursue the others.

My first goal is my most important and one that never ends. It’s to never give up. No matter what struggles I’ve had over the past year I’ve managed, with the help of some close friends, to overcome them and keep my head up. It was very difficult to start streaming to an audience of zero people and to keep talking to no one like the homeless man touching himself on the bus, but I did it and over time an audience has grown and continues to grow.

My second goal really isn’t as much of a goal as it is a commitment to stay true to myself. I refuse to stream any game that would net me some easy followers in order to inflate my numbers. I will only stream games that I actually want to play no matter how popular they are to watch. I do bend that rule every now and then in the sense that I won’t stream a brand new game right away because the large, famous streamers tend to get a lot of attention streaming them off the bat which means a small fry like me gets buried beneath a mound of shit. I can say that I’ve never streamed a game that I didn’t want to play though.

My third goal was to earn one hundred followers before turning on my donation button. Some people in my circle thought that was an odd choice, but to me it was very important. I didn’t want to be this small time turd asking for money from random strangers on the Internet because I was providing them with some mediocre entertainment. Those big broadcasters you see raking in money faster than a Vegas stripper busted their butts to earn that and they deserve it. I did see people smaller than me asking for money using donation perks like doing a shot for a five-dollar donation or swallowing a can of cheese wiz for ten. It’s pathetic and I wanted people to see that I’ve put in the effort rather than pander for cheap entertainment. Now I know most people didn’t stream as long as I did for their first hundred followers but after 7 months of streaming I hit my mark.

My fourth goal was to hit one thousand followers before the end of 2017. I knew this one might be a stretch because I only had ten months to reach it. But thanks to a growing audience and the new Twitch app that throws out fistfuls of follows like condoms in a sex education class, I hit that goal in a little over six months. During that time a new goal popped up, becoming a part of the newly announced affiliate program. This goal was actually pretty easy to obtain because I already met all of the requirements needed. I was invited the day after the program launched and I’m very proud of this title.

Those are my accomplished goals but I still have more in the works. Hitting two thousand followers, having one hundred concurrent viewers, earning a thousand dollars on stream in order to fund a new PC and green screen, and to improve the quality of my broadcast. All of this will take a lot of time and effort and by reaching all of these benchmarks I’ll be able to reach my ultimate goals, becoming a partnered broadcaster and streaming for a living while I become a very famous writer on the side.

So no matter what you’re doing in your life and no matter what your passions are I urge you to work for it. Anything in life worth having is worth working hard for. Celebrate the small goals along the way because they are the stepping-stones to your true success. I know I say this to you as a small time broadcaster, but I’m so much farther along on this journey than I was when I started and it will only get better. I love streaming on Twitch. I love watching Twitch. It’s a wonderful place to hang out with your friends and your favorite broadcasters who provide entertainment like we’ve never seen before in the past.

If you’d like me to talk more in depth about anything Twitch related, shoot me a message and let me know. That also goes for any other topics you’d like to read about. If not you’ll be stuck with whatever my brain decides to dump when I sit down to write. Also be sure to go check out my sexy broadcast over at twitch.tv/halotitan and let me know you found your way there from here!

No comments:

Post a Comment