Monday, September 1, 2014

PAX Prime 2014: Day 2


     Day 2 for me means Halo! The first thing I’m doing this morning is going to the main theater for the Halo panel. I was worried it was going to fill up, so I bailed right after breakfast and made it down there as fast as I could. The main theater is a good five or six blocks from the convention center and that is something I feared would make me late. Needless to say, I was ninety minutes early and I wasn’t even close to the front of the line.  The wait wasn’t even that bad because every person I waited with was as big a Halo fan as I am if not more so. What I found to be even crazier is a lot of people around me had Surfaces and Window Phones. Talk about being in the midst of a Microsoft crowd. There were a lot of people doing cosplay as well and that was really cool. One guy was in full Master Chief gear and it was by far the best I have ever seen. He nailed the gear down to every scratch on the armor as well as the proper plating on the shoulders. It was great. When we got in and the panel finally started, all the cosplayers were called up to the stage. One guy used this as an opportunity to propose to his girlfriend and she fortunately said yes. It was pretty neat.

     The panel itself was pretty cool as well. Frank O’Connor was the host and the man is a comedian by nature. He came out and introduced himself and the crowd went nuts. He waited for it to get quiet before he said, “that was the correct response.” Classic. Frankie is actually one of my inspirations in becoming a writer. I use to read his weekly update with Bungie both leading up to the Halo 2 and Halo 3 releases and they were inspiring to me because of how he used words to engage an audience.

Being that this was a panel, we were treated to some new exclusive reveals. The really cool one was that Halo 2’s remastered campaign includs audio as well as visual. Not only that, but the audio from the original game can be swapped out whenever the player switches from old to new giving us the best of both worlds. The updated weapon sounds are amazing and they literally feel impactful. The rest of the panel was pretty formal, giving us relatively old information and a nice little promotional video to their Halo channel. We did get a history on the newest remastered map to be revealed. Lockout is the fifth announced map that is bring fully remastered and we were given a deeper look into what it looks like now. I can assure you that it is absolutely stunning.

     After the panel finished I began making my way back towards the convention center. It was during this walk that I realized I was right next to Frankie. Holy crap that was amazing. I shook his hand and let him know how much I appreciate his work. He’s a pretty nice guy and fun to talk with. I finally met up with my Uncle and we wandered around the center for a little bit. We stumbled upon the Cards Against Humanity area which is in the basement of the building. They make you walk down this insanely long hallway in order to get there, all while taunting you the entire way with signs that say, “Man this hallway is long, huh?” I remember playing this game a couple of years ago at PAX East and it has gotten really popular since. So we both decide to buy it. I saw the Bigger, Blacker Box, which I assumed was the full game and all the expansions. It was only fifteen dollars, why not? My Uncle went for the regular game and that ran for twenty five dollars. It wasn’t until we were leaving that I began wondering why his was more expensive. I opened the Bigger, Blacker Box and realized it was empty. The purpose of it is to hold the game and all of the expansions. Eff me, right? So later in the day I went back and purchased the full game and I’m glad I did, it’s so much fun.

     Back to the expo floor. We couldn’t decide what we wanted to play, but before we did anything we had to stop by a booth where my Uncle was trying to win a free game by solving a series of riddles. While we were there I hopped back onto Fenix Rage (refer to day one blog for info). I really enjoy that game and the developer there was surprised when I told him I was playing it yesterday. I guess they weren’t getting many repeat gamers? I suppose that may be weird at an event with hundreds of available games to play. My Uncle didn’t win the game, he got two answers wrong, but they were giving him a second chance to figure them out. Before we did that, it was time to play some games.

     The first line we hopped into was Forza Horizon 2. I have to admit, walking around with the Bigger, Blacker Box was kind of a pain. Not because it was heavy, because it wasn’t, but because EVERYONE had to know where on earth I got it. So I was naturally annoyed after the fifteenth time I gave instructions to someone. Not a big deal I guess, just me being a grump. The line for Forza was very small and we had controllers in our hands within ten minutes. I’ve really got an itch for racing games this year and they are not in short supply. Forza is the third one I’ve touched so far this weekend. Yes, it’s very fun. I love the graphics and the gameplay. The car was a little hard to control at first, but I got the hang of it just in time to do some crazy off roading through a beautiful country side. I like Forza better when they do an open world because it feels less like a simulator. Not to say that Forza 5 is bad, I just prefer things differently. I would definitely recommend at least trying this game out.

     The next game on our list was Halo: The Master Chief Collection. It’s located right next to Forza and, unlike most of the games, the line wasn’t capped. We waited about forty minutes before getting our first hands on look at the newly remastered Lockout. Halo fans will know which map I’m talking about here. I was expecting to stomp some ass because I was a beast at Halo 2. There was only one problem though. I haven’t played that game in at least five years. I was so out of practice and, thanks to newer Halo titles, I was spoiled by being able to sprint. I forgot you can’t sprint in these games and something that is so nostalgic for me felt very alien and slow. Nevertheless, I held my own as I re-learned the ropes. I managed to get eight kills before the match ended, but my teammates weren’t as lucky as me. They did very poorly and we wound up losing 50-20. The new map is beautiful though and it’s amazing that something ten years old can look so great again. Lockout was one of my favorite maps and this new look really breathes visual life back into it. The map can be interacted with as well. On the main platform in the middle is a large piece of glass where you can view the area beneath. That glass, with enough explosion power, can be broken, changing the dynamic completely. There are also stalactites placed across the map that can be shot down in the attempt to change the pace of the game. I did shoot the one in the middle down, breaking the glass in the center, but it was too late to matter.

     Right next to the Halo booth is the Sunset Overdrive booth. Why the hell not? We already tackled two big Microsoft games, might as well go for the hat trick. We stood in line here for close to an hour. While we patiently waited we got to watch as other people enjoyed the game. At one point a very beautiful woman came up next to us and tried getting the attention of the exhibitor running the booth. I was too busy checking her out at first to notice, but it was Naomi Kyle from IGN. She is a very striking woman indeed, but still, I don’t like people who cut the line! Ha, journalists get special privileges and we all know that. During our time in line my Uncle solved the final two riddles he needed for a free game (remind me to ask him which game it’s for). That’s nice. Our bellies were rumbling by the time it was our turn to play. I have to be honest, I was a tad skeptical going into Sunset Overdrive, but after the three wave survival mode (which was eight player co-op) I felt relieved. It’s very simple to control and the gameplay is just as frantic and fun as it looks. There were so many joyful explosions that I could hardly contain myself. My Uncle and I both walked away from it as believers and we hope we get another opportunity to play it before the weekend concludes.

     After we finished our Microsoft tour we decided to run across the street to the Cheesecake factory. My Uncle enjoyed it so much two days before that he wanted to try it again. My feet were killing me by the time we got there, so sitting down was a nice break. Regardless, by the time we finished eating, the show floors were getting ready to close down. But not before my Uncle ran up to redeem his free game. While he did that I watched this random marching band do a performance for the PAX attendees. They were all dressed up as different video game characters. They were so good and so loud that cars in the street actually stopped driving to watch causing chaotic honking and yelling. Considering the craziness that is PAX, watching this band felt like the perfect end to day two. We went back to the hotel to recharge for Day 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment