Tuesday, May 21, 2013

The Future of Gaming: Xbox One


            Microsoft announced their next generation gaming console today, the Xbox One. I know, the name throws me off too. I always thought the Xbox released in 2001, the one that shipped with the Duke controllers, was Xbox One. The name is referring to everything in “one” place as advertised for this new Xbox. You can have all your entertainment needs met in one place with this new console and it is pretty impressive. Here are my thoughts on today’s press conference. 
            After Sony’s impressive PlayStation 4 reveal, I was really expecting Microsoft to come out guns a blazing. Unfortunately, I had read an article shortly before the conference that stated Microsoft intended to reveal their next generation information in two parts. Today’s part was to be all about the platform, Microsoft’s vision for future games, and what to expect from the new console. The next part, which will take place at E3, will be more focused on the games. So I was already a tad disappointed prior to the show even starting. Apparently so was everyone else.             We got a glimpse at some EA sports games, but I don’t think people gave two squirts of piss about franchises that release a new game every stinking year, so whatever. I was mildly impressed with the graphics though, but that is something I would expect from next gen consoles. Forza 5 looked nice and I was rather intrigued by Remedy’s new IP Quantum Break, but I do want to know more about it. Just knowing that it’s developed by Remedy is almost enough for me. I cannot say I wasn’t disappointed that it wasn’t Alan Wake 2, but I think I’ll live. Hopefully. They also showed off Call of Duty: Ghosts at the end of the show. I was very impressed with the way they showed off the graphics from Modern Warfare 3 compared to the Next Gen look of Call of Duty. People who personally know me would probably think that I’d be peeing all over another Call of Duty game, but this one really did intrigue me and I’m excited to see what’s in store for it. Granted, people can argue all day and night about the graphics displayed at Playstation 4’s reveal compared to the one in game footage we got to see today, but who cares? Blame Infinity Ward for not living up to your standards and wait until next month before judging the graphics power of the Xbox One. Either way I don’t care, as long as the game is fun to play and has a decent plot, I’m in.
            As far as other games go, we’ve been getting after action confirmations that Battlefield 4, Destiny, Assassin’s Creed IV, and Watchdogs (see full list here) are all being developed for Xbox One, but we knew this already. Microsoft really pleased me when they announced that they have fifteen exclusive games coming out for the Xbox One during its first year on the market, eight of which will be brand new IPs. I love new IPs, but I’m a tad worried that they will all be kinect-focused games that will make me vomit with hatred. So please, Microsoft, don’t screw the pooch hmmmkay?
            The hardware of Xbox one looks pretty amazing. I can’t really get into too much detail on this issue because I’m a noob when it comes to hardware. If you want to know more about the specs, you can view them here. From the feedback I’ve gathered, the differences between Xbox one and PlayStation 4 aren’t too grand, but much remains to be seen on what each console will be doing for sure. Some have been saying the PS4 does this better while the Xbox One counters it by doing this better. You be the judge until some tech savvy friends can fill me in better.
            One issue that has been plaguing the reveal of the next Xbox were that we gamers would have to be connected at all times while playing games. However, after the Microsoft conference, we learned that we do NOT have to be always connected to the Internet. Unfortunately, on that same note, former Sony jackass Phil Harrison (who the fuck hired this douche, he sucks!) hinted that we would have to be always connected. However he’s a sketchy character and lies more than Bill Clinton, so I’m taking Don Mattrick’s statement over his. As of now we know that we will not have to be always connected and I think that should be a relief for anyone who really cares, especially when the president of Interactive Entertainment Business over at Microsoft tells us it won't be. Lets be honest though, even if it did require always online connection, would it matter? A vast majority of us stay connected to the Internet anyway; I just think people are bitching just to bitch. And before you start talking about having server issues, Microsoft announced that they have over three hundred thousand servers. I’m sure they’d be okay even if they did require us to be always online.
            Microsoft did spend a great deal blabbing on about live television. At first I thought it was cool, but then I read something about you still having to have a cable box that connects to the Xbox and you can view TV that way. Nope, don’t care anymore. It takes me two seconds to switch from HDMI 1 to HDMI 2. Why do I need that shit connected into my Xbox making lazier than I already am? I’d rather have it streamed over the Internet, but I guess we’re not there yet, huh? Whatever. I'm not even sure if that's accurate anyway so I'll wait and see. They did announce, however, an exclusive contract with the NFL that peaked my attention. I no longer need cable TV to watch the NFL? Yes please. I’m all over that like a fat kid on a cupcake man. Other than that news, nothing else really peaked my interest too much. They just left me asking more questions that I must have answered. Xbox live has been revamped. Okay, how? Apparently achievements and all that jazz we nerds love will transfer over, but I want to know what Microsoft plans on doing to make my sixty dollars a year worth while because paying for a Sony membership grants those people a free freaking game every month.
            Oh, perhaps Xbox TV will be something for Gold members only. One other thing that did peak my interest (I know, I lied) was the announcement of the Halo TV series handled by Steven freaking Spielberg. SPIELBERG! Yeah, so I am definitely interested in that, as long as it’s a different story and not the tale of Master Chief. I think Chief’s story would be better told on the big screen (which should also be directed by Spielberg, just saying). I’m sure we’ll get more news on that. Microsoft also mentioned that we would be able to save and edit our gameplay and save it into our cloud. I do like that, but it’s not a make or break deal for me because Sony is doing that as well. However, they did tell us where our videos and stuff would be going, and that is to our cloud. I’m assuming this cloud will allow me to access my game footage wherever I want so I can make awesome video clips that I can post on Youtube. They’re also expanding on their cloud feature which should make gaming anywhere much easier. Again, I’d like more information on that.
            One thing that was missing out that PS4 is doing is the live streaming option. Granted it has neither been confirmed nor denied by Microsoft, I am hoping it is a feature that will be available. I love playing games, but I also love watching other people play games. That might seem weird to you, but a lot of people think the same way I do. The potential for help is there when I cannot get past this part or that, a buddy who is better than me at the game can come watch me play and maybe correct what I’m doing.
            The new controller seems pretty neat too. I’m excited for the new grips on the joysticks. Apparently there are forty tweaks to the controller, not all of which are known at the moment, but we do know the D-pad has been improved. There are two new buttons in the middle of the controller, ones I can only assume have to do with social media, much like the new PlayStation 4 controller. Okay, so the last thing I wanted to talk about (before the last thing I really intend on talking about) is the fact that we will have to pay toplay used games. Yes that is right people. When you buy a copy of Halo 5 you will be forced to install that game on your hard drive. Now your brother wants to play, but in order for him to play it on his profile, he will have to pay a fee. Say WHAT!?!?! I don’t know why that bothers me so much because PC games are like this and no one ever complains about that. I just think it sucks because I enjoy using services like Gamefly that allow me to play used games at a cheap and affordable price. Depending on how much they plan on charging to play used games, I may or may not have to eventually cancel my subscription. Also, Skype is coming to Xbox and that is hot. I figured it was only a matter of time considering Microsoft purchased the company. I only wonder how this is going to play into the party chat system that I love and use all the time. Also, I’ll have to make sure I’m not standing naked in front of my Xbox in case someone calls me. That would be awkward.
            So I cannot make an honest judgment of the new Xbox yet because I haven’t seen the powerhouse of games they intend on releasing with it. Granted we will get great games that other consoles are getting as well, but that’s not enough for me just yet. I can say that the console looks amazing and they truly are targeting everyone and their grandma. I do want to make one comment to Sony fanboys. FUCK Sony fanboys. I honest to God loved what I saw from the PlayStation 4 reveal and have considered buying one of those as well. But then I go read the comments for news articles about the Xbox One at IGN and Sony fanboys are ass fucking the living shit out of something they don’t fully understand yet. Oh, the Playstation 4 is fully focused on games while the Xbox is focused on live TV. Says who? Microsoft targeted sports fans, TV fans, family fans, and game fans. One dude said that Microsoft doesn’t care about games while the PS4 does. I would like to point out that half of the Playstation conference was about social media and crap. Just saying. Microsoft is fully aware of why they’re making an Xbox. Just because they don’t spell the word GAMES out in capitol fucking letters highlighted in neon pink, doesn’t mean they aren’t concerned about games. Remember, 15 exclusives on top of an already impressive line up are confirmed for this year and next. That would be like getting pissed off at a cell phone reveal because they don’t let you know that you can make phone calls from the new iphone 12. It’s expected, just like games on a console are expected. Give it time you Sony fucks. And please shut up, I don’t want to miss out on the Playstation 4 because being classified as a club member in the same club as a bunch of assholes that need to fist themselves would be as distasteful as all of the swear words I've to speak to you. At least Microsoft brought a console with them to their conference. Leave the speculation until you know more about the consoles. That goes for both sides. I’ll see you all at E3. Good day.

4 comments:

  1. I agree with you on needing more information, as neither console has revealed everything yet. Certainly we are all leaning one way or the other, but no one knows how it is all going to play out. Hopefully E3 will pull back the curtains a little further.

    Rule of thumb, never read comments on IGN!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I learned my lesson the hard way haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going with the new Atari! ;)

    ReplyDelete