Thursday, February 7, 2013

Wallet Rape: A New Assassins Creed Announced

-->
And so the saga continues, a new Assassins Creed game has been announced for Ubisoft’s fiscal year 2014. That means it will most likely release in the holiday season of 2013. Which means this will be the fourth game in a row that released a year after its predecessor. It’s the same practice that has given us a new freaking Call of Duty game every year since forever ago, a new Halo game every year since the release of Halo 3, and a new Madden game every year since I can remember. Do people not see a problem with this? I’m tired of my favorite companies and franchises raping my wallet year in and year out so I can enjoy the same experience I just recently had with the SAME TITLE! It’s unreal.

A representative from Ubisoft stated that they have multiple teams working on different chapters of the franchise, so this way the games they release have multiple years of development on them. Who cares? The fact of the matter is that I am tired of getting a new version of what I just played EVERY SINGLE YEAR. I enjoyed the times where I had to wait a few years for the next installment of a game. That made games more valuable to me. Halo CE and Halo 2 are sacred titles in my library and I spent years playing them. Now days I don’t get that kind of time to fully enjoy a game. It’s hurry up and beat this game, among the many other games that you have purchased this year, because the next title is on its way. It makes the games less enjoyable and less worthy. To me, they become throw away titles.

Sure, the quality of the game is there because Team A has been working on it for three years, but my interest in it has subsided because I just finished the most recent title a month ago and low and behold thirty days later another freaking title is announced. Your last game wasn’t as good as it could have been, Ubisoft. It’s that reason, as well as your need to consistently force feed the same games to the public, that I will NEVER spend a full sixty dollars on one of your games. You just ruined the new Splinter Cell for me, thanks. At least that game had a couple of years between it’s predecessor, but the idea of giving you full price for a game only makes it easier for you to want to shit out another copy twelve months later. I’ll happily wait until your games are thirty dollars or cheaper. I hope it stings. I recommend any gamers reading this to do the same. It’s our voice that needs to stop this ridiculous practice from occurring to our favorite titles.

It’s sad, I’ve already written off the new Gears of War game because they didn’t need to make another one. Now another favorite of mine is at it again. What is next? Halo is only hanging on in my book because I absolutely love it, but if they announce Halo 5 for a holiday release this year, you can say goodbye to another sixty dollars in your wallets. I’m done being sodomized because I love gaming. Wake up people, you are being taken advantage of. You pay all this money for the same experience every year and more and more franchises are realizing they can do this and get away with it. Please stand your ground and let them know that it is not okay to do that.

1 comment:

  1. You have a point there! Developers rush to release a game each year and as far as I can tell (from Call of Duty which I play a lot)they recycle the game and sell it as something new. (like MW2 and MW3). Great post and blog keep up the good work !

    ReplyDelete